Wednesday 31 August 2016

Chelsea signs Marcos Alonso

MARCOS ALONSO 


Chelsea Football Club has today brought Marcos Alonso back to the Premier League with the completion of the defender’s transfer from Fiorentina.

The 25-year-old Spanish left-back is the first defender signed by Antonio Conte following the recruitment of a forward, a midfielder and a goalkeeper to his squad. He has signed a five-year contract.

Alonso said: ‘I’m very happy. It’s a step up in my career and I think this is the perfect place for me to continue developing. It’s time for me to win some titles.

‘It was an easy decision for me to make when I heard the club were interested in signing me. My family and close friends know Chelsea is the club I have dreamed about playing for so I’m really excited about the challenge and I'm looking forward to working with my new team-mates.’

Alonso was born in Madrid and is the son and grandson of former Spain internationals. He was a youth and B-team player for Real Madrid, before being handed his one first team appearance there by Manuel Pellegrini in April 2010 as a late substitute in a win against Racing Santander.

That summer he joined Bolton Wanderers as a 19-year-old and was a team-mate of Gary Cahill for one-and-a-half years prior to the England international’s move to Chelsea.

Alonso stayed in the north-west for three seasons, two of those in the Premier League, and made 46 appearances, scoring five goals.  

After half a season at Fiorentina, he was recruited on loan for the second half of the 2013/14 campaign by Sunderland manager Gustavo Poyet, who selected the Spaniard in the League Cup final against Manchester City. Alonso also played in the Sunderland win at Stamford Bridge which ended Jose Mourinho’s 77-game undefeated league run at our stadium. It was his volley that led to the visitors equalising that April day.


Alonso then returned to Fiorentina where he established himself as a regular in the team as a left-back, wing-back or in a back-three. He leaves La Viola with 85 appearances and five goals scored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are Not In Possession of FIFA Forensic Reports - Normalization Committee

The Normalisation Committee of the Ghana FA denied claims that they are in possession of the FIFA forensic reports that has cleared form...