Monday 31 October 2016

Chelsea star Gary Cahill fires warning message to his critics after poor performances: 'Don't write me off!'

CAHILL

Gary Cahill has warned critics not to write him off just yet.

The 30-year-old defender experienced a torrid start to the season following a series of high-profile mistakes that culminated in gifting Arsenal the opening goal in a crushing 3-0 defeat back in September.

Since then, however, Chelsea have gone 410 minutes in the Premier League without being breached and Cahill has conceded only two goals in seven appearances for his club and England. 

Both of those came in the recent EFL Cup defeat to West Ham meaning the other six have been clean sheets.

‘Don't write me off,’ Cahill warned after Chelsea’s 0-2 victory away to Southampton moved them within a point of Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool at the top of the table. 

 ‘It's easy to criticise someone after certain games and it's fair enough. Sometimes you haven't had a good game. But people are very quick to write people off. 

'If you are at the top level you have to be mentally strong. For me it was a matter of time before I turned the corner and got back to the performance levels that I should be at. 

'The last four games I'm back to where I should be, I'm playing well, I feel good. We talk about character of the team, but sometimes you have to show character yourself and that's what I feel like I have done.

CHELSEA'S SOLID DEFENCE

After being embarrassed by Arsenal at the Emirates back in September, Antonio Conte overhauled his defence and solidity ensued...

October 1 - Chelsea 2-0 Hull

October 15 - Chelsea 3-0 Leicester

October 23 - Chelsea 4-0 Man United

October 30 - Chelsea 2-0 S'hampton 

‘Criticism is one thing, but to write someone off is very dangerous when you have a mindset as strong as mine, especially when I think I can work hard to turn the corner and come out again.’ 

Chelsea’s defensive form - and Cahill's - has coincided with manager Antonio Conte switching to his preferred but unorthodox 3-4-3 formation in which Cahill is flourishing. 

The player, who is playing on the left of the three defenders, admits he has had to get used to running more to cover out wide compared to when he plays in a conventional back four with another centre-back. 

Cahill has also spent plenty of time assessing his early-season errors, which, he feels, has benefitted his resurgence.

‘I will never go away from a game having played badly and dust it off as if it doesn't matter,’ he said. ‘That's just not me. Everyone deals with things differently, but I certainly reflect. 

'I sometimes beat myself up personally, but in terms of my frame of mind, when things don't go well, I want to be there.

‘But the manager comes into this as well. There was a time, maybe after Arsenal away, where I could have been pulled out of the side, but he showed belief in me. 

'That is the most important crucial time because when you have a bad spell or a bad game, the first thing you want to do is play again. 


I'm not the kind of person to shy away and think 'things aren't going well so I'll take a back seat. I have turned the corner, produced performances in the last few weeks and I'm pleased.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are Not In Possession of FIFA Forensic Reports - Normalization Committee

The Normalisation Committee of the Ghana FA denied claims that they are in possession of the FIFA forensic reports that has cleared form...