Tuesday 17 January 2017

Zlatan Ibrahimovic insists Manchester United team-mate Paul Pogba can deal with '24-hour' pressure after below par display against Liverpool

POGBA

Paul Pogba can cope with the relentless pressure of playing for Manchester United, according to his team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The Frenchman, who became the world's most expensive player when he returned to Old Trafford in an £89million deal last summer, gave away a penalty as United drew 1-1 with rivals Liverpool on Sunday.

Pogba also missed a clear chance against Jurgen Klopp's men and struggled to influence the game despite being in good form heading into the fiery fixture.

POGBA THIS SEASON 

Appearances: 20

Goals: 4

Assists: 3

Chances created: 37

Pass accuracy: 85%

Shot accuracy: 33%

Premier League statistics only 

His lacklustre performance has come in for criticism, but Ibrahimovic believes the former Juventus star has what it takes to remain focused.

'Pressure is something I enjoy,' Ibrahimovic said. 'I don't know Paul personally to be able to answer that for him. But I think he likes it also because, without pressure, we would not be on our toes at the top level.

'If you want to play at the top, pressure is 24 hours and if you play well or better, the pressure becomes even greater.

'So it's something that we learn from and something we have to handle because we belong to the top. Paul belongs at the top absolutely and the pressure will be there.'

Ibrahimovic cancelled out James Milner's penalty on Sunday with his 14th Premier League goal of the season as United extended their unbeaten run to 16 games in all competitions.

The Swede is level with Alexis Sanchez and Diego Costa at the top of the scoring chart, but he insists that his only target is to help Jose Mourinho's side win games.

'I think the pressure I have all around me is nothing compared to the pressure I put on myself,' Ibrahimovic said.

'I really want to do not perfect, more than perfect, every game, even in training. I'm not happy if I don't win in training so imagine what it's like in the games.

'That is the pressure I put on myself and so your pressure becomes like a kindergarten for me.
'My pressure is really high. I'm not satisfied until I get what I want. What I want is to win.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are Not In Possession of FIFA Forensic Reports - Normalization Committee

The Normalisation Committee of the Ghana FA denied claims that they are in possession of the FIFA forensic reports that has cleared form...