Monday 5 September 2016

Diego Costa unhappy with Spanish media

COSTA


Diego Costa says he would be more fairly treated by the Spanish media if he was a "natural Spaniard" playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The Brazil-born striker set-up David Silva's opening goal in Spain's 2-0 win over Belgium shortly after replacing the injured Alvaro Morata on Thursday night.

Costa, who has netted 34 Premier League goals in 57 games for Chelsea, has scored just once in 11 appearances for Spain since switching nationalities in 2014, but defended his performance against Belgium.

"They criticise me a lot and if I played for Real Madrid or Barca and was a natural Spaniard they'd say I had a good game, possibly my best for the team," said Costa.

"I didn't score but I can be useful to the team. I participated a lot in the game and I leave here happy, unlike in other games."

Costa, who last year was banned for three games for stamping on Liverpool's Emre Can, scored in Chelsea's opening two Premier Leagues but was also booked in both matches.

"I haven't done great things for Spain, I can't lie, but when I play well they should say so. They criticise me for my character, but I also have quality," added Costa.

Silva scored Spain's second goal from the spot in Julen Lopetegui's first game in charge since succeeding Vicente del Bosque.

Spain begin their qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup at home to Liechtenstein on Monday and Costa said he is optimistic about his and the team's fortunes under the former Porto and Spain under-21 coach.

"A new era has started. I have faith in my team mates," Costa said. "It's true that I have unfinished business with scoring but today I felt good and the goals will come.

"I'd be more concerned if I didn't have chances, but the team is creating them and that's good. I will score soon." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are Not In Possession of FIFA Forensic Reports - Normalization Committee

The Normalisation Committee of the Ghana FA denied claims that they are in possession of the FIFA forensic reports that has cleared form...