Tuesday 6 September 2016

John Terry sparks memories of Sir Alex Ferguson's attempt to sign him at 14 after posting picture of himself with the former Manchester United boss

SIR ALEX AND TERRY


It's the picture that only serves to remind Manchester United fans what might have been.
A young John Terry, floppy haired and bright eyed, sits beside Sir Alex Ferguson during the Scot's ultimately unsuccessful attempt to lure the future England captain to Old Trafford.

It's 1994-95. United are trying to defend the double and Ferguson - then just plain 'Alex' from Glasgow - is looking to build his next generation of Red Devils stars.


At the age of 14, Terry - then a holding midfielder - had already been identified as a possible option.
Ferguson invited the Barking-born boy with a United-supporting father up to Manchester to train during the school holidays as he tried to convince him to sign.

Ultimately he was unsuccessful, Terry chose Chelsea and the rest - four Premier League titles, five FA Cups, three League Cups, the Champions League and 78 England caps - is history.

But that fortnight in the North West stuck with Terry, who was evidently impressed by the personal touch applied by Ferguson.

Speaking in an interview with The Observer in 2006, he remembered the whole episode vividly.
'I was Man United growing up,' he said. 'You know what it's like when you're a boy, you want to support the team that's winning everything. And my dad and granddad were Man United fans. 

'But my first day at Chelsea I knew that was the club I wanted to be at. I just loved it. But Man United also approached me.

'I met Alex Ferguson - great to meet. During the school holidays I would go up to Manchester and train with their boys for two weeks, play a few games and come home. 


'But one thing that was really special about Man United was that Alex Ferguson took time out and invited me to one of their games and to have lunch with their players.

'So there we are - me, my mum and dad, my brother. He made me feel so special, autographs, my photo done with the Premiership trophy. 

'I think it was hard for my dad to take that I was going to sign for Chelsea, but I had to sit him down and tell him it was definitely the right decision.'

On Tuesday, Terry posted that image on social media in a moment of nostalgia. 

Between his mum Sue and dad Ted the young Terry sits next to Ferguson, smartly dressed in a shirt and tie.
The Chelsea skipper wrote on his Instagram page: 'Flashback to a young 14 year old JT.
'Who would have thought I would go onto win 4 Premier Leagues and 5 FA Cups.

'I have so much respect for Sir Alex Ferguson and will never forget what he done for me and my family.'  

The Blues benefited immensely from Terry's decision to stay in London rather than relocate to Manchester.

After establishing himself in the first team from the age of 20, the centre back has gone on to become one of the club's most revered players - making in excess of 700 appearances and leading his side through the most successful period of its long history.


United didn't do too badly, of course, but for Ferguson it was a case of the one that got away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are Not In Possession of FIFA Forensic Reports - Normalization Committee

The Normalisation Committee of the Ghana FA denied claims that they are in possession of the FIFA forensic reports that has cleared form...